– Will the plan allow you to keep using your existing cell phone and its phone number?
– If you use your phone for mostly just talking, don’t pay for a plan that includes a large amount of internet usage and texting.
– If you depend on health or emergency alert systems at your home, then consider providers such as Lively and Consumer Cellular, that offer add-on health and safety packages that include urgent response and fall detection.
– If you travel frequently, pick a plan that has reliable and wide coverage in the country – and if you travel out of the country, choose a plan that includes overseas service.
– Make sure you get any special discounts you are qualified for – such as senior citizen, AARP or AAA member, armed service veteran, and low-income status. Always ask a customer service rep about any discounts available.
This company has been rated as the very best option for seniors. They give you the total freedom and flexibility to choose the best phone plan for your specific needs, with the ability to mix and match your talk, text, and data usage. This means you won’t pay extra for service you don’t need. This flexible pricing, combined with excellent service makes Consumer Cellular a top pick for a senior friendly cell phone plan.
Plan prices start at about $15 per month for talk only and reaching up to $55 per month for unlimited talk, text, and data. Discounts are available for AARP members.
Lively is a very established cell phone provider that was designed specifically for seniors. In addition to their service and plans being extremely senior friendly, the biggest standout feature is Lively’s optional Health & Safety Packages, which will turn your cell phone into a medical alert device.
Plan prices start at just under $15 per month for their Value Talk & Text plan and they also have available an Unlimited Talk & Text plan for more heavy phone usage. Lively does not require a contract obligation for their plans. Lively’s highly popular and useful Health & Safety Packages start at an extra $19.99 per month.
This is another cell phone service provider that is geared to seniors. Like Lively, they offer a health / emergency alert system. Unlike Lively, they have nationwide 5G service available for state of the art cell phones. Their customer service and support has been ranked as excellent.
Snapfon’s plan pricing starts as low as $9.99 per month for 100 minutes of talk time; Unlimited Talk and Text plan priced at $19.99 per month; and Talk, text, and data plans starting at $22.49 per month. The plans do not require a contract and there are no cancellation fees.
When it comes to price, this company beats them all with free service. Seniors who only require minimal talk time each month can get a FreedomPop plan at zero cost. Of course, you can upgrade your free plan to a paid plan to get more minutes or data usage. Despite their free service model, they have been rated excellent for their customer service and support.
FreedomPop’s plans start at zero dollars, but you must buy a SIM card for the service. Their free service and their upgrade plans all include unlimited talk time via a Wi-Fi connection. Their paid plans range from around $15 to $55 per month.
For seniors who don’t like paying bills, Mint Mobile provides pre-paid cell service that is reputable and reliable. The actual physical phone service uses a larger company’s nationwide network, which is even 5G capable. Of course, there are no contract commitments or cancellation fees. Plus, you can continue to use your existing cell phone.
Mint Mobile’s plans include unlimited talk time and text messages and cost $15 to $30 per month for new customers, depending on the amount of data usage you select. Plans are sold in minimum three month increments.
Seniors who receive Medicaid health insurance, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA), veterans pension and survivor benefits, and other federal and state assistance programs may be eligible for free or low-cost cell phone service through this program.