Below is discussed the reasons and advantages to get a DIY (do it yourself) home security system, followed by a list of the best DIY security systems for seniors in 2022.
– Prevention: Security systems discourage burglaries. The National Council for Home Safety and Security, reports that homes without a security system
are 300% more likely to be burglarized.
– Practical: Most DIY home security systems come with step-by-step instructions, don’t require electrical skills or specialized tools, and provide support
over the phone if you get stuck.
– Cost and Time Savings: Home owners and renters can set up a security system without spending a lot and quickly. In some cases, you can install and
set up a system in a single afternoon without any special tools. It may be just a matter of attaching and connecting a few sensors instead of paying a
technician to do it.
– Lower Ongoing Expense: Monitoring options as low as $20 a month, compared to as much as $60 a month with professionally installed systems.
Many DIY systems also offer the option of self-monitoring without a monthly fee and with no long-term contracts.
– Equipment Price: Starting from $180
– Monthly Fees: Zero to $20
Owned by the famous and large security company ADT, Blue has many advantages of a professionally installed ADT system like high-tech equipment and professional monitoring. However, it doesn’t require you to sign a three-year contract. This is a smartphone controlled system and interior and exterior cameras are available, including a video doorbell. You can get professional monitoring for $19.99 a month which includes cellular backup, or you can self-monitor for free.
– Equipment Price: Starting from $250
– Monthly Fees: Starting from $15
Cove doesn’t sell “one size fits all “starter kits, instead, they configure a system for you after you answer some questions about your home. Their professional monitoring plans are $15 or $25 a month, with the more expensive plan adding Alexa and Google Home integration. There is no option for self-monitoring.
– Equipment Price: Starting from $392
– Monthly Fees: $50
Their entry-level package costs $392.40, which includes one control hub and keypad, two door/window sensors, one motion sensor, one yard sign, a set of five window decals, and one door sticker. The equipment is supposed to be quick and easy to install. Frontpoint has no self-monitoring option.
– Equipment Price: Varies
– Monthly Fees: Starting at $31
Link offers a complete build-your-own system instead of starter kits or packages. They customize a system based on your unique security needs. Link provides a security consultation and quote online or over the phone. This provides you with an excellent home security system tailored to your situation. There are three monitoring plans for $30.99, $39.99, and $47.99 a month.
– Equipment Price: Starting from $200
– Monthly Fees: Zero to $20
Their entry-level Security Kit includes a base station, a keypad, a motion detector, a door window sensor, and a wireless range extender. Ring is owned by Amazon, so their security system integrates very well with the Amazon Alexa smart home system for home automation and voice control. You can choose their $20 a month professional monitoring which includes cloud-video storage or opt for self monitoring at no monthly cost.
– Equipment Price: Starting from $245
– Monthly Fees: Zero to $25
SimpliSafe equipment is easy to install and affordable. They offer a starter package called The Foundation for $244.96, which includes one base station, one wireless keypad, one entry sensor, and one motion sensor. They offer two professional monitoring plans priced at $14.99 and $24.99 a month, or you can self-monitor for free through their smartphone app.