However, in order to make the wisest and most well – informed decision, there are various additional points that you need to look for and pay close attention to.
A military friendly masters program should include the following beneficial criteria:
1. Full Accreditation: This ensures that the program meets high academic standards and is recognized by employers and other academic institutions. The program should be fully recognized by the accrediting agencies, such as the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC).
2. Flexibility: The program must offer flexible schedules in order to accommodate the needs of military-affiliated students. Many programs offer online or hybrid courses that allow students to complete coursework at their own pace and on their own schedule. The program must also offer accelerated course options, preferably with weekend or evening class options.
3. Affordability: The school should offer reduced tuition rates, scholarships, grants and other financial benefits to military-affiliated students. Some programs participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program, which provides additional funding to cover tuition and fees that exceed the amount covered by the Post-9/11 GI Bill.
4. Military Support: Military-friendly master’s degree programs often provide support services specifically for military-affiliated students, which is definitely a plus. These services may include academic counseling, career services and mental health resources, along with dedicated staff members who work with military students to ensure that they have the resources and support they need to succeed academically and professionally.
5. Program Quality: The quality of the master’s degree program is also an important factor. It should have excellent faculty members who are experienced in their fields and committed to providing high-quality education to their students, along with rigorous coursework and hands-on learning experiences that prepare students for careers in their fields.
With all that being said, it’s time to explore the best and most popular military-friendly master’s degree programs that are currently available.
The University of Southern California offers a Master of Business Administration, with a concentration in Global Supply Chain Management. This program is designed to provide students with the skills and knowledge necessary to manage global supply chains in a variety of settings. Military personnel and veterans are particularly well-suited for this program, as the military relies heavily on effective supply chain management to accomplish its mission. It prepares students for careers in a variety of industries, including finance, marketing, and human resources.
Columbia University School of General Studies offers a Master of Arts in Strategic Communication. This program is designed to provide students with the skills and knowledge necessary to effectively communicate strategic messages across a range of media platforms. Military personnel and veterans are particularly well-suited for this program, as the ability to communicate effectively in high-pressure situations is a crucial skill in the military.
The University of Maryland Global Campus offers a Master of Science in Management, with a strong focus in Military Management. This program is specifically designed to provide military personnel with the skills and knowledge necessary to succeed in management positions within the military and civilian sectors. The program covers a range of topics, including leadership, organizational behavior, and strategic planning.
American Military University offers a Master of Science in Sports and Health Sciences, with an emphasis in Exercise Science. This program is designed to provide students with the
knowledge and skills necessary to design and implement effective exercise programs for individuals and groups. Military personnel and veterans are particularly well-suited for this program, as physical fitness is a crucial component of military service.
This program from The National Intelligence University is specially designed for students who want to work in cybersecurity. Possessing an MSC would be a very attractive and desirable plus on your resume, as the military always needs cybersecurity experts to protect it from viruses and other malicious threats around the clock. The MSC program prepares students for roles such as cybersecurity analyst, information security officer, and network security engineer.
Military-friendly master’s degree programs provide excellent opportunities for military-affiliated students to advance their careers, expand their prospects and earn higher salaries. With such a degree, you can also make a positive impact on your community. So, if you are active military or a veteran without a Masters, these programs and many others are definitely worth exploring.