Mobility scooters come under the category of “Durable Medical Equipment” (DME) regarding Medicare coverage. Such DME coverage is available under Medicare Part B – not under the Hospitalization (Part A) of Medicare. Part B coverage is not automatic and must be enrolled in, plus there is a monthly premium payment required. Also, there is an annual deductible that has to be met before any coverage applies. After the deductible is met, Part B usually will pay for 80% of the cost of DME’s, including scooters. The other 20% must be paid for by the patient.
There are several eligibility requirements that must all be met by both the patient and the scooter for Medicare to provide coverage. These are as follows:
• you have a health condition that makes it extremely hard for you to get around within your own home (Medicare will NOT cover a scooter designed
for primarily outside use)
• you can’t do daily living activities, such as using the bathroom, bathing, and dressing, even with a walker, cane, or crutches
• you can safely operate the scooter device and are strong enough to sit up on it and use its controls
• you are able to get on and off the scooter safely: if not, you must always have someone with you who can assist you and ensure your safety
• your home can accommodate scooter use: for example, a scooter will fit in your bathroom, through your doors, and in hallways (the scooter must be
able to maneuver and fit in all the main areas of your home – particularly the bedroom, bathroom and kitchen)
• you must first get a documented prescription for a scooter from a Medicare approved doctor after an in-person examination by that doctor, no more
than 45 days in advance
• you must obtain the scooter from a Medicare approved and participating DME medical equipment supplier (both purchase and rentals are usually
This scooter model has been rated the overall best choice by several review sites. This is a 3 wheel model, making it extra maneuverable, which is important when using it inside. This is enhanced further because it is only 22 inches in width. It has a modular design that makes it easy to operate and comes with a comfortable frame-mounted seat. The Ultra X has a long-lasting battery, so you can enjoy your daily activities and outings without the battery dying. You can use it for both indoor and outdoor use. And very nicely, this model retails for under $1,000.
This is another highly rated model from Pride. It is also a 3 wheel model and only 22 inches wide allowing for high and easy maneuverability and use even indoors, including the ability to get through tight spaces and make sharp, smooth turns. The Travel Pro comes with many nice features including: a very comfortable fully padded faux leather seat; foldable armrests; a front mounted basket; and a 275 pound weight load capacity.
This 4 wheel model from Pride operates outside very well, while still being appropriate for indoor use. Although it is 4 wheels, it is only 24.5 inches wide. The Traveler Elite is equipped with wraparound handles so you can operate the scooter with only one hand, which is very helpful if you suffer from arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrome. Plus, it’s equipped with non-scuffing tires that won’t mark up the floors in your home. Its front frame-mounted seat provides maximum stability and it comes with a handy front basket.
This 4 wheel model is extremely compact and maneuverable, measuring under 20 inches in width. The design makes it easy to navigate the scooter on both indoor and outdoor surfaces. It has 8-inch tires made out of a non-marking material to eliminate scuff marks on your flooring. The Vive Scooter is equipped with a wide padded seat and backrest that gives you excellent support and comfort. Its seat rotates and is height-adjustable to give you a custom fit and make it easier for you to get on and off the scooter. Plus, Vive provides a 5-year limited warranty on this model.